Wednesday, October 13, 2010

'Headboard' DIY Project


About 6 months ago I was inspired to turn an old mantle into a headboard for our master bedroom.  
image courtesy of Lowe's Creative Ideas


Step 1: Find an old mantle.  Simple enough, right?  Wrong.
All of the cool, semi- ornate mantles that I found at various antique stores, flea markets, etc. were hundreds of dollars!  If I wanted to spend that kind of money I would have gone to a furniture store and bought a stamped out, cookie cutter headboard.  What I'm trying to say is that I didn't want to spend that kind of money.  I just knew that I could do this project for about $75.  So the looking continued until finally I found this gem at a local antique store that is sadly no longer open.

Who paints a mantle in a glossy teal green???  Seriously.  I don't get it.

Anyway... A whole bunch of stripper, sanding, and painting later and, voila!  My 'headboard' is complete!


It is the perfect place to display some of the centerpieces from the wedding, the cake topper from the wedding and some other knick knacks that are thrilled to finally have a home.  (See the overall reveal soon when I post about the big bedroom makeover).

What inspires the decor in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment